ZENChat - Messaging Application on top of ZEN

Hi, I’m Kendrick. I recently joined the developer team for ZENCash after making myzenwallet.io and making a javascript library for zencash - https://github.com/kendricktan/zencashjs

I would like to propose making a dedicated, multi-platform, Fully Anonymous Messaging Application that utilises the ZEN blockchain.

Team:
Just me

Requirements

1. Multi-platform. The three major OS’s (Windows, Mac, Linux) should be supported from the start.
  2. Communicates with the ZEN daemon via RPC, that way you can have a pseudo light client
  3. Modern, intuitive, and stable UI
  4. Production ready it in 4 weeks

Budget
650 ZEN for the whole project

Lukas has already proposed to add chat functionality to his Arizen wallet and from a usability point of view it does make sense that any chat functionality is integrated with a wallet.
If I were one of the decision makers I would need to see a comparison of proposed features to ensure there is no unnecessary overlap. Still, there is nothing wrong with having multiple solutions and a bit of competition as long as it does not waste resources :slight_smile:

Thats true, one of the fundamental difference between the application I’m trying to make and the one the Lukas is is that it should be working on all major OS, mobile included. Because it connects via the RPC server you can have mobile clients using the private chat without running a full node, which is more practical.

I’m also trying to make it as stable as the java swing wallet whilst making it look good and improve the user experience. :slight_smile:

@kendrick I just took a look at this. Would this be an application running on a desktop or a web application?

@blockops it can easily be both

Okay so it’s more of a lightweight front end to a back-end server?

What is it that you would be doing to operate the backend servers in such a way that they will have a high level of reliability and longevity?

And would you have features to prevent spam? How would you make money on this or at least make it so that you would not be losing money on it every month?

I just want to get a more complete scope up front so that we prevent having scope creep during and after the project requiring additional funding.

i’m a big fan of projects like this that make ZenCash more useful.

@nikmit good points, my perspective is that partial overlap / redundancy is a good thing since the systems can compete and we can see which users prefer, which helps both…

@blockops good questions!

@blockops

Its a light weight dynamic frontend that connects to your personal node via RPC. I don’t have any backend servers to maintain, the web app can be hosted directly off GitHub

Okay that helps a lot so for people that are able to set up a node on a VPS they can remotely access it. Or just use it on their own system.

It might make a business opportunity for someone to host communication nodes for people who are not able to do that.

Okay I don’t really have any more questions how soon were you thinking about starting to work on this?

Would there be a way to use SSL encryption, when itbecomes available, on the Node to Tunnel the RPC information securely?

@blockops already started it, around 80% complete I would say, an alpha version should be up by the next biweekly update.

Yes, SSL encryption can definitely be an option in the future (user needs to supply their own cert). Maybe even rpc through a ssh tunnel

The alpha version is up. Binaries for windows and linux can be found at: https://github.com/kendricktan/ZENChat/releases/tag/v0.0.1a Need some testers

I’ll help you get some testers. Installing it on one of my boxes first…still thinking about the proposal.

What are your thoughts about 3 milestones with funding tied to milestones? Like in the example proposal here? How to Create a Proposal for ZenCash

testing on linux box. can’t connect to RPC. Is there a place to check for logs? See pictures

@blockops

The current values in the host and ports are just placeholders, you need to actually enter in 127.0.0.1 and 8233 for the host and port respectively.

I’ll be making sure the fields aren’t empty in the future.

wow, I feel silly now.

It is working. I am also going to install a version on a windows virtual machine. It will be until tomorrow afternoon when I can really test it though.

@kendrick we want to fund the continued development and support of the chat application.

what do you think of three milestones?

1. publish beta version to zencashofficial github
  2. production release
  3. 3 months after production, with tweaks and bugfixes complete

@kendrick I am testing ZENChat. I have gotten far enough to create a new chat. After I run it, though, all I get is a spinning circle. There is no console output, I am not sure if there are logs, so I don’t know what it is doing. Any suggestions?

@Blockops

The 3 milestones sounds achievable. I’ll pm your for more details in slack.

As for the bug, its been fixed in v0.0.2a: https://github.com/ZencashOfficial/zenchat/releases/tag/v0.0.2a

The binaries aren’t out yet, but there’s instructions on how to compile it yourself.